Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas with the Family

Well, another Christmas with my family is over. I love my family, and I love spending time with them, but they have a hard time spending time with me. I grew up in a family of straight-laced, conventional thinkers who have a really hard time with my visionary, revolutionary, non-conformist mindset.

My parents are always urging me to "not be so weird." My siblings have a hard time making basic conversation with me, because my appearance bothers them. I'm the only one who has body piercings and tattoos. They don't understand my desire, my need to be different.

It's always hard spending time with my family, but I will always love them. It doesn't matter if they eventually accept me, or they never do. My love for them is not conditional. If my love for anyone is conditional, then it's not real love. Love is a choice, and not always an emotion. I don't always feel love for my family, but I choose to love them, because they're the only family I've got.

Why can't people just accept those who are different from them?

Always,
Lily

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who wants to live as a non-conformist must accept that others will not fully understand them. I realize it may hurt, but it is part of the package. Jesus was rejected, misunderstood, and scorned. When people are uncomfortable around you, you have succeeded in being unique! I am happy you chose to love your family despite it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. I do accept that most people will not accept me; I even revel in it. It's different with my family though. It just feels like they should accept me, because they're stuck with me, no matter how weird they think I am. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to accept their non-acceptance.

    ReplyDelete